Patterns

Thursday, October 8, 2009

The other day I posted a picture of a doily and Tattingchic asked for more information on the doily. Well, here's the scoop:

I made that doily using a five point motif that I joined together around a center motif. To fill the gap between the motifs I used hearts. Everything turned out just hunky-dory (see exhibit A). I really like the doily so the same doily again using a Sherry's silk thread but no changes to the motif. The problem is that the space between the points of the stars was bigger the 2nd time and the hearts just didn't cut it. So I used another star to fill the gaps (see exhibit B). I swear to you that its the same pattern, same picot size and my tension is pretty consistent across the board. I just can't figure out why the chubby cheek hearts (that's what I call the hearts) weren't big enough. Any ideas?

I really like the motif so I've made a few with extra rounds. I've talked about these in previous posts. I'm calling the motif a star but it's really a pentagram. Did you notice that every other round the pentagram is inverted. Is that a big deal or have I watched too many episodes of Supernatural?

3 comments:

  1. Wow, every photo is more eye-catching than the last. Such a versatile motif! More, more, more, please!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool! So that is your own design! How nice! You are so talented. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your basic motif and it is lovely composed into a doily.

    Mercy
    Viv's Tatting Quest's Mom

    ReplyDelete

Anyone out there? Say hi if you are......